Main content start


Doctoral students in the department may make arrangements to study for limited periods at other universities. The university maintains a cross-registration policy with the University of California, Berkeley, that enables students to receive Stanford credit for courses taken there. For information, contact the registrar’s office.

Stanford also participates in the Ivy Plus Exchange Scholar Program, which facilitates arrangements for visits of up to one year to selected U.S. universities. The current list of institutions includes: University of California, Berkeley, Brown University, University of Chicago, Columbia University, Cornell University, Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Princeton University, University of Pennsylvania, and Yale University.

Students considering extended study at another institution should consult with their advisor, the Graduate Director, and faculty at the host institution. To apply for an exchange, please contact your home institution’s Office of the Registrar.

For more specific information regarding courses offered, steps to degree, and admission requirements, please see the Registrar's page about exchanges.